Monday, December 8, 2008

Buying a good budget pc can be a pain




I recently purchased a $300 Gateway computer thinking I got a great deal because of its pretty good specs.

The Problem I realized after gettingjt is that the cd rom drive doesn't seem to work very well with blank cdr's or cdrw's and has a hard time burning them or ejecting them. On top of this, it is a low profile graphic system so I can't upgrade the pcie video card to a card that isn't anything other than 'low profile' despite the size of the case. Even my budget 4 year old emachineT3092 let me put regular cards in.

The other sad thing is the quality of the power supply not even giving me enough cables or molex's to plug in a pcie cable converted video card nor does it have a pcie specific 6 pin cable. The best card I can run for this power supply so far I figure is a 9500gt low profile edition. ANd I really hope nothing else starts going wrong. Oh and the computer (or possibly the crappy Vista is doing this) freezes sometimes when I am opening up many browisng tabs at once form a previous session. Bottom line some things on paper seem a lot better than they are in reality. But what irks me is how the specifications listed on Gateway don't say anywhere it is only a low profile compatible system.

No comments: